– In 1862 Brigham Young said: “Every discovery in science and art, that is really true and useful to mankind has been given by direct revelation from God, though but few acknowledge it. It has been given with a view to prepare the way for the ultimate triumph of truth, and the redemption of the earth from the power of sin and Satan. We should take advantage of all these great discoveries, the accumulated wisdom of ages, and give to our children the benefit of every branch of useful knowledge, to prepare them to step forward and efficiently do their part in the great work”
– “Discoveries latent with such potent power, either for the blessing or the destruction of human beings, as to make man’s responsibility in controlling them the most gigantic ever placed in human hands. … This age is fraught with limitless perils, as well as untold possibilities” President David O. McKay (1966)
– “I believe that the Lord is anxious to put into our hands inventions of which we laymen have hardly had a glimpse. … With the Lord providing these miracles of communication, and with the increased efforts and devotion of our missionaries and all of us, and all others who are ‘sent,’ surely the divine injunction will come to pass: ‘For, verily, the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be preached unto every creature’ (D&C 58:64)”” President Spencer W Kimball
Elder Bednar’s “Social Media Guidelines:”
1. Be Authentic and Consistent
Share this and any other inspirational quotes on your Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Add a short testimony of your knowledge that you are a child of God.
– “… we are disciples and are messages should be authentic.”
– “Our messages should be truthful, honest, and accurate.”
– Is it joyful, useful or beautiful? Is it trustworthy and constructive?
– Is it authentic, edifying, and praiseworthy?
– “Authenticity is strengthened through consistency” Always be YOU!
2. Edify & Uplift
– “…we and our messages should seek to edify and uplift rather than to argue, debate, condemn, or belittle.”
– “Be courageous and bold but not overbearing….” Being overbearing is being bold without love. We learn that as missionaries!
– Be a light to an ever increasing darkening world.
3. Respect Intellectual Property
– “… we and our messages should respect the property of other people and organizations.”
– “ To assist you in creating uplifting gospel messages, we are pleased to announce that the content in the Media Library on LDS.org, unless otherwise indicated, has been cleared for use by members without seeking permission from the Church. Additional information about the use of Church media can be found at social.lds.org.”
4. Be Wise & Vigilant
– “… be wise and vigilant in protecting yourself and those you love.”
– the Internet never forgets!!! It is impossible to be anonymous.
The Lord knows. You know. And the Internet knows.
“We should not allow even good applications of social media to overrule the better and best uses of our time, energy, and resources.”
“May our many small, individual efforts produce a steady rainfall of righteousness and truth that gradually swells a multitude of streams and rivers—and ultimately becomes a flood that sweeps the earth. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33).”
Elder Hoffman’s words:
I believe so strongly in the powers of social media. It was made for this day and we have all blessed – some more than others and some in different ways than others – to participate in this great work. We chose to come at this time. This was one contributing factor.
In the Book of Mormon, in Mosiah 18:9, we read that we must, “… stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that we may be in….” Here is described the covenant we promise with God when we are baptized. We must stay true to this covenant!
Moreover, we read as well in the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 25:26, with my own edifications, one of my most favorite scriptures:
“And we talk of Christ, we post about Christ, we tweet about Christ, we pin about Christ, and we share General Conference talks, that our followers may know to what source they may look for a remission of the sins.”
Shall we not go on in such great a cause?!